We live in troubling times. The Bible predicted such times. The apostle Paul warned Timothy:
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 2 Timothy 3:1-5
The apostle Peter wrote that people in the last days will follow their own sinful desires:
Knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. 2 Peter 3:3
In light of these and many other warnings we should not be caught by surprise when the courts of our land make a ruling that allow same-sex couples to marry. The court system in the United States was founded on the Biblical judicial system, yet in the last days we will see that system erode and perhaps disappear as people seek to follow their own lusts and desires (Romans 3:10-18).
While we as a church respect the government as being instituted by God, we do not recognize man-made laws that transcend God’s Holy Law. Therefore, we do not recognize same-sex marriage as a legitimate institution.
Throughout Scripture marriage is held in high esteem in the Bible:
1. Marriage between one man and one woman was instituted by God from the very beginning: “[God brought] woman to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.”
2. Jesus held marriage between one man and one woman in high esteem – it was at a wedding between a man and a woman that Jesus performed his first miracle of turning water into wine: [See John 2:1-11]
3. Marriage between one man and one woman is a symbol of Jesus Christ (The groom) and the Church (the Bride): [See Ephesians 5:23 and Revelation 21:9]
Conversely, Scripture has warned against homosexuality:
1. The Old Testament law was extremely harsh when it came to homosexuality: “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.” (Leviticus 20:13).
2. In the New Testament, while physical death is not a consequence for practicing homosexuals; spiritual death certainly is: “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality…will inherit the Kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9,10).
3. As with any sin God has allowed people to choose between a heterosexual lifestyle and a homosexual lifestyle: “For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:26,27).
What should the Christian’s role be in dealing with homosexuality:
1. Realize that same-sex marriage and/or homosexuality is a sin and an abomination to God: Leviticus 18:22; 20:13: Deuteronomy 22:5; 23:18: 1 Kings 14:24.
2. Love the sinner, hate the sin: Too often Christians have an attitude of hatred toward those who participate in certain sinful acts. While we should never approve of or encourage sin, our duty is to share the love of Jesus Christ to those captured by sin. Therefore, we must encourage the homosexual to come to Christ and be “Transformed by the renewal of their minds” (Romans 12:2). Be known for your love of Jesus Christ and his ability to transform lives – rather than being known for your hatred of someone caught in sin.
3. Teach your children the truth from God’s Word: The public school system is more and more tolerant of “alternative lifestyles.” Children are being brainwashed into believing that same-sex marriage and/or homosexual behavior is normal and should be accepted. Teach your children truth by reading and studying God’s Word together (Deuteronomy 6:5-9).
4. Don’t be ashamed to share your faith in Jesus Christ with those who embrace homosexuality: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of salvation to everyone who believes…For in it the righteousness of God is revealed…” (Romans 1:16,17).
5. When Christ’s love is shared with those caught in sin, hatred and persecution are likely to follow: Whenever the love of Christ is shared it reveals the sinfulness of mankind. Because of that, many who are caught in the grasp of Satan’s rule on earth will persecute those who are lovers of Christ. Christians should be prepared to be hated and to suffer for their faith. Jesus said, “If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you” (John 15:20).